Proofreader and copyeditor experienced in working with a wide range of documents, in particular business, insurance and finance, academic, family history and genealogy, science and religion.
I also write business documents, including client-facing material (such as Terms of Business Agreements) and internal reports. For some business areas I can also undertake research and carry out compliance checks.
I first became interested in proofreading and editing in 1981, when I worked with a sub-editor on a scientific journal for a few weeks as a summer job after university. I continued to proofread documents on an ad hoc basis for friends and colleagues, and completed my first editorial skills qualification in 1999. In 2011 I updated my qualifications and began to take on a wider range of proofreading and editing work.
Freelance assignments include:
- Writing research reports and client-facing documents for business clients
- Proofreading documents for a professional interim management organisation
- Form design for a financial services business
- Proofreading academic papers and theses, in various subjects including: education, medicine, biochemistry, social science, actuarial science, theology
- Proofreading business documents including: a tax ‘diary’, promotional literature for the property investment, leisure and financial services industries
- Providing proofreading and editorial support to a global insurer preparing documents for submission to regulatory bodies
- Proofreading 'general interest' articles and material on various subjects including local history, music and dance
- Communications lead on a change programme for an insurance company
- Writing articles on family history topics which have been published in the local and family history press
- Drafting grant applications for restoration work to two historic churches in the City of London
- Writing and submitting grant applications for a local music festival
- Ad hoc assistance to a sub-editor for various scientific journals
Business and other subject-area experience includes:
- 30+ years' experience in the insurance profession, including at Director level
- 12 years' experience of genealogical and family history research
Professional accreditations and qualifications:
Editorial Training Proofreading Today course 2011 (passed with merit)
Chapterhouse Editorial Skills course 1999
MBA, Henley Management College 1994
BSc in Physics (IIi), Leeds University 1981